A hearty soup that can be enjoyed chunky or smooth.
Suggestion: Deliciously paired with corn bread.
- 3 cups dry navy beans (or small white beans)
- 4 TB coconut oil / or olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons (t) salt (Optional)
- 1/2 t Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 t Curry powder
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 sticks of carrots
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Preparation of Bean
[Always start with dry beans for a quality soup]
Sort and wash beans, removing all rocks and any fragmented beans. Soak beans with about a tablespoon of baking soda overnight or about 8 hours. Pour water off the beans and rinse beans once with water.
Place beans in a pot with about 8 cups of water. Boil for 45-60 minutes or until beans are firm but can be smashed between your fingers. You will notice beans some beans look cracked. You want the beans to be soft. Drain water off beans. Now your beans are ready to be used in the recipe below. [You will have about 6 cups of cooked beans]
Preparation of soup.
- In a large pot stir-fry garlic and onions in Coconut oil until softened.
- Add Italian Seasoning, Curry powder, salt (Optional), tomatoes, celery and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are softened and tomatoes have flattened.
- Add Beans and 2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups of water
- Cook for 20 minutes covered, stirring periodically.
- (Optional) This soup can be enjoyed as a chunk soup as it, but if you prefer a smooth soup like I do put soup in blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot to keep warm before serving.
Like this recipe? Share it with friends