Soup’s on. Instead of ice cream, serve bowls of beta-carotene-rich chilled cantaloupe soup with tarragon syrup.
- YieldServes 6
For The Soup
- 1 large ripe cantaloupe (about 4 pounds), seeds and rind removed, cut into chunks, plus thin wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of coarse salt
For The Syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Make the soup: Working in 2 batches, puree cantaloupe, sour cream, honey, lemon juice, and salt in a blender until smooth. Press through a fine sieve into a bowl. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Make the syrup: Bring sugar and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Boil until syrup has reduced to 2/3 cup, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat; add tarragon. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until cold, 1 hour.
- Puree syrup, tarragon, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use; stir just before serving.
- Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with tarragon syrup; garnish with cantaloupe wedges and tarragon sprigs.