Elevate plain old roast chicken with the addition of thyme, pomegranate seeds, and a pomegranate-juice glaze.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3-pound whole chicken
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup. Set aside. Meanwhile, let the chicken come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Tie legs and transfer to a large ovenproof skillet.
- Roast chicken, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 50 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and brush with reduced pomegranate juice; let stand 10 minutes. Deglaze skillet over medium heat with stock, scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon. Cook until reduced by half. Strain fat. Add thyme and pomegranate seeds. Serve with chicken.